Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Chili ala A Player to be Named Later

Pin It Now!

Oh DRAT... My mind is mush this morning and I cannot remember the exact quote, or the blogger I read this concept.  It had to do with chocolate chip cookies.  The idea of "the best I ever tasted" has been tossed around almost anytime one of us posts a CC Cookie recipe.  Ingredients, secret techniques, facing west while you whisk... but also, there is the concept of the familiar.

This is the best chili I have ever eaten.  I look forward to it every Fall and I beg for it on the first snow of winter and on that late spring day when the weather turns cold for just a couple of days, I just can't get enough..  It's not mine, it's my beautiful brides' recipe...


And here is my beautiful bride on her wedding day...

13 years ago today!

If this were a slice of life blog in place of a foodie blog, I would get all philosophical on you about the joys of the familiar.  How much better my 13th year of marriage is going to be than my first because I look forward to the familiar.

But, it's a foodie blog.

Here's her super secret chili recipe...

Exquisite Bohemian Chili  
2 lbs ground beef 
1 large onion, chopped 
1 large can of tomato sauce 
1 can of diced tomatoes (any flavor, drained) 
2 cans of chili beans or kidney beans (drain and rinse kidney beans) 
3 Tbsp chili powder (or to taste)  
Brown hamburger and onion.  Add remainder of ingredients and simmer.  I use a crock pot for 3-4 hours.  
** If it is too thick, I add water, if it is too soupy, I add tomato paste. 
It's familiar, I love it.  She made this Sunday (9/11/11) for me (Hmmm... I woke up and asked for it after watching an hour of the rehashing of 9/11, 10th anniversary.  Maybe I should get all philosophical on you again about craving the familiar on "those" days.... Nah, too much philosophizing).  I ate it Sunday night, Monday for breakfast, Monday night, Tuesday for breakfast and sadly finished the pot last night.



My wife and her chili... Looking forward to the next 13 years.

But then again, sometimes, on rare occasions, one of those two gives me the farts, but we won't dwell on that.


Anyone considering getting married, I highly recommend running away and getting married in the tropics (we did on Jamaica).  BUT, just in case, do not engrave the wedding date in your rings in advance, just in case the only day of the week that it rains and is overcast is the day in the ring.  Pictures could have had that bright blue sky background the Caribbean is famous for if you had been able to be flexible and could have waited a day... but I digress.


And something to look forward to... This weekend will be the debut of a brand new foodie blog. Traditionally, the 13th anniversary gifts are to be Lace, Textiles or Fur.  But in a non-traditional anniversary, you get the gift of blogging.

Last night, we got our copy of FOOD NETWORK Magazine.  Far as I am concerned, best of the food magazines, no pretentiousness, just great accessible food with about the best presentations and photo ideas.  Jackie was bemoaning that since I have dedicated this blog to making things I see on eRecipecards.com, I never seem to make any of the dishes she marks.  I suggested she start a blog.  Once a week, commit yourself to cook from FN Mag, blog about it.  This way she can easily follow some of the folks I have told her about (and read about here), and on rare occasions when I share too much, she can defend herself.  Maybe we can even do a "He Cooks, She Cooks" thing.

She agreed!

2 things...

I will be helping her set it up.  This is the same woman with three facebook accounts because she can not remember her passwords.  But I digress, that's not one of the two things...

First (1st), she needs a great name.  "Inspired by Food Network Magazine" could work, but it could be a bit derivative.  She might like, "My Answer to my Husbands BS", but that just seems wrong to me.  So, please make a clever suggestion... Any ideas?

And (B), Monday will be the day.  I will let you know where to find her blog, expect a few welcoming comments to get her excited.

Oh, and one last thing...

Honey, I love you, but put everything in
 MY KITCHEN 
back where you found it.


*************************************************************************


So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Recipes for Soup, Chili or Chowder" (Now more than 52 and still growing)

Soup from Scratch is one of the great kitchen joys.  The house smells amazing and the soup warms to the bone.  From broth to chowder, vegetarian to loaded up chili... Even a great idea for a party (love the Potato Soup Bar idea).  Come take a look, sure to have something you might like to try.  All recipes have been tested and WORK!


****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

8 comments:

  1. Great post, the chili sounds really good! Congratulations on your anniversary and good luck on her new blog. Can't wait to read it myself. I spend so much time coming up with new things of my own, I don't even get a chance to read many cooking magazines and I have to agree, that one is a good one. Let's see about a name...How about "Frolicking within the Pages of Food Network Magazine"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh what a wonderful loving post!
    Happy anniversary and best wishes for many more years together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! GREAT post and your wife is beautiful! And you scrub up well too! LOL!
    The chilli sounds delish and also looks amazing....
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 13th Anniversary! This chili looks really good and I will be trying this soon....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary! Good luck on your wife's blog, I'm sure it will be great :) Love the chili recipe, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chilli ala Happiens:) Beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy wedding Annivesary!!!! I found your blog through Everyday Mom's meals and now I am attracted to this chilli recipe too...Happy to be a follower of you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Belated Anniversary. Beautiful couple and photos. Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

FMP