Monday, March 18, 2013

New Orleans SHRIMP and ARTICHOKE SOUP

Pin It Now!

I LOVE this Soup!

But not just any soup, this is a delicious recipe Jackie and I learned when we attended the NEW ORLEANS SCHOOL OF COOKING!  We have been to the school several times during our many trips to the Big Easy, Classes take three hours, each day a different menu. You will leave with a full belly (lunch is included), and a history of how food helped forge the city, and many recipes for foods that you can not wait to make at home. If you visit New Orleans, DO NOT HESITATE TO TAKE THEIR CLASSES (reservations encouraged). Click the Blue Letters to get to their website with more information.

This is among my very favorite soups and I try to make it a couple of times a year. Each time Jackie and I relive several of our memories from New Orleans... I did plenty of posts of my vacation which you can read the all by clicking HERE, and scrolling down. My very favorite post I did was the overview of How I single handedly rebuilt New Orleans,One Sazarac Cocktail at a time!

But I digress... Rich thick creamy soup LOADED with plenty of Shrimp and Artichoke... You will love it!

Over the years I have made a few changes to suit my tastes... here's my take...


OK... Here's what I did...


New Orleans SHRIMP and ARTICHOKE SOUP

Ingredients
  • 1 Large Jar (64 Ounces) Quartered Artichokes, drained
  • 2 Cups Chicken Stock
  • 5 Green Onions, Ends trimmed, slice thin green and white parts, reserve a TBS for garnish
  • 1 TBS Fresh cut Thyme leaves
  • 1/4 Cup Flour
  • 1/4 Cup Butter
  • 4 Cups Heavy Cream
  • 1 Pound Medium Sized Shrimp (reserve a few for garnish)
  • 2 TBS Cajun Spice Mix
  • 1 Pinch Paprika for garnish
Cooking Directions
  1. Combine Artichoke, chicken stock, green onions, Cajun spices, thyme leaves
  2. Bring to boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 12 minutes.
  3. Combine butter and flour in a large saute pan over medium heat and stir for 5 minutes to make a roux. It is very important to stir constantly while the roux is cooking.
  4. Stir in heavy cream to roux and whisk til mixed
  5. Add the roux/cream mix to the simmering pot...
  6. Continue simmering for 10 more minutes
  7. Add shrimp and simmer for 3 minutes only (shrimp cooks FAST)
  8. During the three minutes, in a small saute pan over medium high heat, melt 2 TBS butter and combine with 1 TBS of Cajun spices. Saute the remaining few shrimp (to be used as a garnish) in the butter/spice mix.
  9. Serve with Green Onions and parsley for garnish...
  10. Add a little extra heat (Cayenne Pepper) if desired.
  11. Garnish with the spiced shrimp and a bit of paprika
  12. Serve HOT and ENJOY!

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Recipes for Soup, Chili or Chowder" (Now more than 52 and still growing)

Soup from Scratch is one of the great kitchen joys.  The house smells amazing and the soup warms to the bone.  From broth to chowder, vegetarian to loaded up chili... Even a great idea for a party (love the Potato Soup Bar idea).  Come take a look, sure to have something you might like to try.  All recipes have been tested and WORK!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. I just made this... SO GOOD!! I will be making this again for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the New Orleans School of Cooking . . . SO much fun! Even though I bought their cook book, I haven't tried this recipe so I'm happy you posted it so I can pin it!

    ReplyDelete

FMP