Saturday, November 21, 2015

5 Pounds of Hamburger is on Sale (Freezable) CHILI - 52 Recipes for Soups and Chili, Church PotLuck Dishes

Pin It Now!

I have 2 reasons for making this dish...

First and most important, I am cheap.  Frugal in polite corners but really, I love a bargain and I am cheap.

Recently my favorite grocery store had ground beef on sale.  BIG 5 pound tubes of 80/20 ground beef for $1.99 a pound.  I really don't buy much ground beef, so when I need something for a recipe, I end up paying $4 or more per pound.  So I bought 4 "tubes", of hamburger, divided up three of them, broke them down to 1 pound hunks and froze them.  Then used the last one for a BIG batch of chili.  Most to eat now and a gallon or two to freeze for that first COLD spell of winter (not the 30 degree cold, I am talking 5 degrees with wind whipping down the plains... But I digress).

And Second, I just love this chili recipe.  It is very simple, just brown the burger and dump everything into a big roasting pan, thicken at the end and serve.  But even if this took hours to make, I just love chili!

This is a very handy recipe to have on hand.  It uses big size ingredients (usually those big cans are much cheaper than an equal amount in smaller cans).  It does indeed feed an army (I made this once for a church project and fed more than 50 people).  It freezes nicely.  I just spoon into gallon size ziplock freezer bags and I have a pot whenever the cold hits my foodie fancy.

Holiday season is coming up.  Nice to have a big pot of this when you have company.  Those night before Christmas and Thanksgiving meals are solved (as well as midnight snackers).

So, plan ahead, watch for sales and of course... ENJOY!


 OK... Here's what I did...


5 Pounds of Hamburger 

is on Sale 
CHILI



Ingredients
  • 5 Pounds Hamburger, browned and drained
  • 1 BIG can (6 lbs 9 oz) Tomato Sauce
  • 6 regular size cans Chili Beans (drained and rinsed
  • 3 Large Sweet Onions, diced
  • 3 Cups Chicken Stock (can use Tomato Juice or water)
  • 1/4 Cup Garlic Powder
  • 1/2 Cup Chili Powder (plus additional to taste)
  • 1 TBS Cayenne Pepper
  • 3 TBS Cumin
  • 1 TBS Oregano
  • 1 TBS Pepper (plus additional to taste)
  • 1 TBS Salt (plus additional to taste)
  • Optional 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 2 (12 Oz) Cans Tomato Paste (1 extra as needed)
Cooking Directions
  1. This is a brown and dump recipe... Brown the hamburger, breaking up into small bits.
  2. In a LARGE Roasting pan, add all of the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the tomato paste. Stir to mix
  3. Set on 300 degrees, cover and allow to low simmer for 1 hour.
  4. Add the tomato paste, add additional as needed to thicken the gravy.
  5. Taste, add additional seasonings to taste.
  6. Serve HOT and ENJOY!
  7. BTW, freezes nicely in gallon size freezer bags, perfect size for a chili pick me up on cold winter days.

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Recipes for Soup, Chili or Chowder" (Now more than 52 and still growing)

Soup from Scratch is one of the great kitchen joys.  The house smells amazing and the soup warms to the bone.  From broth to chowder, vegetarian to loaded up chili... Even a great idea for a party (love the Potato Soup Bar idea).  Come take a look, sure to have something you might like to try.  All recipes have been tested and WORK!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP